01 Jan 10 Principles for a happy and successful 2019
Posted at 15:46h in News
- Much of our everyday lives pass us by too quickly in a shroud of busyness and lack of control as we are all deadened by habit. One such habit that I will curtail or hopefully eliminate is incessantly checking my phone for email or breaking news.
- Too many of us are unsatisfied and disengaged from our everyday work as we are stuck in cog jobs. If you can’t find a job that inspires you, find one that maximizes your skills or provides you with independence/autonomy.
- Organizations that desire to build a culture of risk-taking and fail fast need to take a close look at whether they are willing to stop accepting mediocrity, particularly from leadership. Tolerate failure but not incompetence.
- Leadership is about the work you do every day. It is not a destination or goal but it is the discipline of creating new habits one step at a time.
- I don’t know what my passion is but I know what my values are. If you can’t find your passion, find work that helps you stay true to your values.
- If you are a project or program manager, most people think they can do your job and it is very likely that they can even do some of it. The way to differentiate is by being the best program manager you can be, be a professional. We all know the difference between a professional plumber and your partner at home who thinks he/she can do the job.
- This one is really hard for me but I have been getting better. Don’t compete with anyone. Think of the world as being abundant with possibilities. You can win without beating someone else
- Every app, every organization, every level of government, every political party, the list goes on. They are all trying to hack you, figure out who you are so they can extract something from you. Your likes, your money, your support, your vote. Knowing who you are, what you stand for is more important today than it has ever been. If you don’t know who you are, someone else will define you.
- Meditate or find another way to give your conscious brain a break. It is also a great way to learn more about how you think and why. A very important antidote against being hacked.
- Don’t be deceived by titles or positions of hierarchy. True power comes from helping others. If you can’t immediately come up with the name of someone you have helped, it is time to do better.